Understanding the tummy tuck procedure
- Posted on: Dec 30 2019
A popular procedure available with Dr. Matthew J. Trovato of Dallas, TX is that of the tummy tuck. A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is a specialized procedure for the midsection. It results in the removal of excess fat and skin to tighten the area and give a smoother abdominal profile. Both men and women can benefit from this procedure when they are interested in better body contours. However, many patients who consult with our team will ask for step-by-step information in regards to how the procedure is performed.
- Anesthesia. First and foremost, the patient needs to be comfortable for the procedure to be handled properly. Our medical team will provide proper anesthesia for the treatment. This may include localized anesthetic or general anesthesia. Dr. Matthew J. Trovato can assist patients in choosing the anesthetic appropriate for their needs.
- Incision. A tummy tuck requires an incision across the abdominal area. In most situations, the doctor will make the incision in a more inconspicuous area. Dr. Matthew J. Trovato often cuts horizontally along the pubic hairline or below the belly button. The area of the incision will be determined due to the amount of excess skin that needs to be removed.
- Repair. Once the incision has been made, the doctor can begin to repair any weakened abdominal muscles that may be present. Dr. Matthew J. Trovato will remove the excess skin at this time, and may even reposition the belly button for a more natural appearance when completed.
- Closing of the incision. Once the excess skin has been removed, the muscles have been repaired, and the belly button has been repositioned, the incisions are closed. This may be done with sutures, tapes, clips, or skin adhesives.
- Recovery. Following the procedure is the recovery. Post-operative instructions are supplied to patients. A follow-up appointment is also scheduled before patients leave the office to ensure that the area is healing as desired and infection has not developed.
Are you interested in a tummy tuck procedure?
Call Dr. Matthew J. Trovato of Dallas, TX today by calling (214) 827-2873. His practice services patients in and around the community who are interested in general, cosmetic, and reconstructive plastic surgery solutions for the body.
Posted in: Abdominoplasty